When you think of investments, and other terms like stocks and shares, you picture elderly/wealthy businessmen in suits trying to make a profit. I worked for a big brick and mortar electronics company, and a lot of the corporate employees were heavily invested in the company’s stock price going up and down and how it’d benefit them, as well as the company that they worked for.
In recent years, there’s been a uprising of purposeful companies and non profits that are looking to make a change. I came across an app called Newday that helps you build a portfolio of investments that benefit the environment and different social initiatives, such as endangered species, gender equality, climate change, and more.
Here are the portfolios available through Newday –
- Global Impact Portfolio – Invest in companies whose core business address some of the world’s largest social and environmental challenges.
- Climate Action Portfolio – Renewable energy production is no longer the future. It is the present. Invest in companies that operate at significantly reduced greenhouse gas emissions levels or develop the technology used to achieve these levels.
- Ocean Health Portfolio – The ocean covers 70% of the earth’s surface. She is home to over 200,000 known species, absorbs over 90% of excess carbon dioxide, and stabilizes the climate. Align your investment objectives with the health of earth’s greatest resource.
- Gender Equality Portfolio – Equal pay for work of equal or comparable value. Removal of barriers to the full and equal participation of women at work. Access to all occupations, industries and leadership roles. Invest in women in the workplace.
- Fresh Water Portfolio – Invest in companies who lead in maximizing water efficiency, and who are committed to combating pollution and ensuring affordable and equitable access to water resources.
- Animal Welfare Portfolio – Invest in companies that protect biodiversity, animals, and their habitats. Align your investment objectives with the well-being of animals.
- Sustainable Agriculture – Transforming the agriculture sector has the potential to improve the lives of millions of people living in poverty around the world. There is growing need for fertile farmland that produce high quality yields, yet poor land management, climate change, and damage to water resources increasingly threatens agricultural output.
What does your portfolio look like? Let us know below and what you think about the app! Happy investing!
Coffee & film connoisseur.